Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Difference A Year Makes

Oh what a beautiful morning! Yesterday was a wonderfully warm day here and it got into the mid-high 60's. I walked twice, went to the quilt store and got backing fabric and had an all around wonderful day. Last Saturday was a rock climbing class for our youngest granddaughters; I do want to state that there is a huge difference between five years old and six and a half years old. The first three pics are of Miss A, who turned five in November. Miss A and our other Miss A, also five, have had a very hard time with the height of this climbing wall. On Saturday our other Miss A wasn't in class, so it was just two of our grand daughters climbing. Miss A was so close to the top and she froze when I, her nana, said "A, if you keep climbing I'll give you a dollar". It was so hysterical to watch her reaction-she started climbing again. She didn't make it to the top, but got a little closer. I always try to encourage the grands, but occasionally will resort to other methods.
Our son-in-law Brent was right below her and actually climbed up a bit several times. If you look at her right foot, it is resting on a very small hold. 

Both five year old girls have ended up in tears on the wall; so when that happens, they just focus on what they are comfortable with. Miss A has no problem rappelling down; I always found that to be harder than climbing up. 

Our Miss D, is like a little spider~she just flies up the wall. She again did a Dead Hang(no ropes) where she just holds on to a handhold and sees how long she can hang. She lasted 2 minutes and 25 seconds-pretty amazing for just being six.


After watching the girls climbing, we've all come to a conclusion that even a year makes a big difference in how you view an obstacle.
It will be fun, in a year, to see how the two Miss A's do climbing.
Today will be another warm day here, but lest you think it's going to last-we are supposed to get snow on Friday and Saturday.  I'd be happy if this nice weather lasted.
I hope you have a good day and if you're in the states where the blizzard is forecast-please stay in and stay safe!
Joy to you!
Noreen

8 comments:

  1. I love that they are climbing. I wish I would have tried something like that when I was younger. Of course it wasn't available way back then......
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to the parents for getting the girls into rock climbing! It is warmer here but not as nice as there. It is gloomy today and we might get some rain.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  3. We agree it is such a fun and challenging thing to try when you are young. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos ! Good for them that is a big achievement to climb that . I know I couldn't do it now a days but did when I was younger ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing, and I can't believe how long your 6-yr-old grand can hang!!!! My husband has started climbing in a gym over the past year, and he loves it. I can see why... it looks really fun for your grandkids, although it's not something my body would ever tolerate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the kids do the climbing, makes me so nervous! I am a nervous nelly for sure! But hooray for them!!!
    Glad you found your quilt back! No pic?
    Stay warm.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like fun ... I will have to see if any of my Ts have ever done any rock climbing. There's a rock climbing wall in the YMCA where I walk, but DD and her family have joined a different Y (I don't know if it has a rock climbing wall).

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14