Friday, December 1, 2017

Living History

Happy December to you my friends. Yesterday I had the privilege of going up in the mountains with my gal pals, to visit a friend of one who owns a Log Home and has quite a collection of Antiques. It was so fascinating, but I realized I could never have that many collections. Here home is in a Canyon about an hour away and it was such a treat! When we pulled into the driveway, we met her husband and son creating a Barbed Wire Sculpture.
This is what the Sculpture is modeled after.  Her son is quite the artist and many of his pieces are around Fort Collins.
Be still my heart-this is the living room.
Their entry way, she got the Hall Tree at a garage sale for a incredible price.
Their upstairs family room; notice the book shelves with the baskets-oh my what stories.
I never heard of the Dickerson sisters and their Pine Needle Baskets.  Apparently they were quite the gals.  One friend was a teacher and used to teach her Colorado history class around local people; she knew all about the sisters.
Jan found both these baskets at Goodwill and got them for a steal.
One piece her son carved-so beautiful.
This piece was the model for a full size sculpture at the Equine Center.
One guest room with an vintage quilt.  Gal pals Lillian and Charlotte looking on.  There was so much to see, it was overwhelming. I asked Jan if she ever thought of having a bed & breakfast, but she said she tried it one summer and it was just too much work.

I love Cobalt Blue glassware, aren't these pretty.
Some of her grandmother's baby clothes.  One dress looked like one of my vintage dresses.
I also love Milk Glass and have two pieces-are these beautiful.  Guess you have to love antiques to really appreciate them.


Once again, I had to tell my heart to slow down-antique quilts. Loved the cabinet too.
Here is the best collection in the house-Antique dresses and hats.
Some dated back to 1890, others were from the early 1900's.

The dress on the far right was from 1890.   Notice there are quilts on the walls.
Loved this dress.
One vintage quilt-probably from the pastel era of the 20's.



This was a wedding dress from the early 1900's.  We learned that White didn't become a popular color for a wedding dress until later.


She got this fur-skin coat and hat for $5.00 at a garage sale.
Before they started building their home, they decided they better build something small from logs to make sure they were up to it.  This is a cute out building.





A mining car they purchased from an area here in Colorado. They have also done some gold mining as well.
This large pot was used in their gold mining.


This is the front of the house.  It was so beautiful; I have to say there were lots of burnt trees from the High Park Fire back several years ago.  They have a Momma Mountain Lion, a cub and two juveniles nearby as well as Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Turkeys, Rabbits etc.
My gal pals-from Left is Lillian, then Jan the owner, I'm center, Charlotte to my right and on the far right Diana.  We are walking buddies and dear friends; I'm so blessed to have them on my street and in my life.  Notice that Diana and I have sunglasses on and don't need to squint.
It was such a delightful day and I'm so thankful I got to meet this couple and see their home and collections. Of course, being with gal pals helps too. Hope you have a fantastic afternoon and weekend.
Hugs,
Noreen

5 comments:

  1. Oh,my goodness! I can't even imagine having those type of collections. I hope there is someone that will want them when they are gone. What an interesting time, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful home and amazing collection!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing,like visiting a museum. I have to agree, I believe running a B&B would be too much work too. Your friend has a full time job managing this incredible home and her collections. So glad you got a beautiful day to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, now neat! I just LOVE antiques and primitive things, and I thoroughly enjoyed this post! Thank you so much for sharing, and God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice time you had. I would have enjoyed seeing all of those things. She definitely has a beautiful collection of antiques.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14