Friday, December 11, 2015

The Midwife's Choice by Delia Parr Review



I read a great book this week and want to share it with you.  I know during this season, many don't have the time to read, but I always read before turning out the lights at night.  I haven't read any books by Delia Parr before and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed her writing.  Sometimes, when I pick up a book written by an author I've never heard of, I'm just not sure about it.
Here is a synopsis by the publisher:

Come Home to Friendship, Family, and Faith in the Town of Trinity
In a time when the traditional ways of medicine are constantly being questioned by new doctors fresh from medical school, midwife Martha Cade tries to balance her life's calling with the demands of her family. Recently reunited with her estranged seventeen-year-old daughter, Martha finds herself torn between guiding her child and allowing her to be an adult. At the same time, she must decide whether she'll risk reopening the heart she'd long closed off to love. 

Though a small town, Trinity, Pennsylvania, is fraught with secrets, and as a midwife, Martha moves among its people. She knows which homes are filled with light and love, which families have slipped into grief, which wives are unhappy, and which husbands dare to cross lines...As Martha struggles with the conflicts of being a mother, a midwife, and a woman, she learns the greatest lessons of all--that hope can shine even in the darkest hours, and that faith has a way of making the impossible possible."
The story line was intriguing to me because one of my dearest, closest, best friends(from high school to now)was a midwife for longer than I can remember.  I know firsthand the sacrifices that these women make to help others.  I felt that Delia's story reflected this and more; I had never thought about midwifes seeing abuse up close.  As a young mom, I attended a grade school reunion with just woman and birthing became a topic; I was amazed to find out that one of the girls in my class mother had all her children at home-I never had a clue, but then I wasn't close friends with her either.  I would rate this book at five stars(out of five) because it was fast and easy yet kept me wondering what would happen next. I will definitely be getting her other book.
I want to thank Bethany House, a division of Baker Publisher, for providing me with this book.  I received it without any compensation for my honest review.  
Have a fantastic weekend!  Noreen


1 comment:

  1. Mom enjoys reading midwife type books. Nice review!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14