Monday, February 11, 2013

Wish You Were There!

 
Posted by Picasa
 
Hey Friends~All I can say about our weekend was that it was over the top fantastic! We had a wonderful drive over with blue skies and no snow; came across this herd of Bighorn Sheep but hubby couldn't stop as we had a car coming up behind us pretty fast. I also had the telephoto on and trying to get a shot of the sheep was almost impossible, because they were so close to the car.
Posted by Picasa
 
Posted by Picasa
 
Posted by Picasa
The above two shots were from the condo on Friday night after the snow started. It was beautiful, but oh so cold.
 
Posted by Picasa
We had never heard of the Winter Carnival before and let me tell you that I/we are planning on going back next year. It was such fun-the Main Street, Hi.40 is shut down for the weekend and snow is packed in for the races. I've always said I'm a country girl at heart and I also a bit cowgirl. I have never been to such a wonderful family event; this year Steamboat celebrated their 100th Anniversary of the Winter Carnival and boy did they put on a show. I will say it was so cold that I ended up getting a new pair of snow boots because my Merrill's just weren't keeping me warm or dry.  I also learned more about layering and the importance of good heavy wool socks when you are standing outside for hours on end.  As you can see, above, local ranchers bring their horses into town and pull children of all ages down Main Street trying to make the fastest time.  The children's ages ranged from 5 yrs-15 yrs old; there was also a shovel race where adults rode shovels behind the horses.  These were not slow races either-the horses were at a gallop; however there were some little ones that were pulled at a slower pace.  Most of the children that live there grow up skiing and participating and let me tell you that they were good.  We took so many photos that you can be sure I'll be sharing all week.  I was told that the night time fireworks show was exceptional because of the 100th year celebration-but I will say I've never seen a better show in all of my years-that includes Disneyland, Disneyworld and Epcot Center.  So stay tuned for more fun!!!!
Hope our dear friends on the East Coast are staying warm and safe!
Hugs, Noreen & Hunter

11 comments:

  1. How fun!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed your weekend, Noreen!

    --Andrea
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that looks like a fantastic time!! Loved every photo, so beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! So glad you had such a good time!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noreen
    It sounds like my kind of festival!
    I wish I'd been with you to see the Bighorn Sheep too. I love my wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Noreen, I loved this post and wish I had been there. For some reason we only got half the pictures but man oh man, that bighorn was so cool.

    Glad you had a great time.

    Bert's My Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a wonderful weekend. We USED to have a winter carnival like that with the horses pulling skiers too! But it was a budget cut!

    Murphy & Stanley
    Online Doods

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That sounds like so much fun! Maybe I'll join you next year..lol glad you had a fun weekend! Xoxo Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to go that festival; looks like you had such fun.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sure was a wonderful weekend. Thank you, Noreen, for sharing the Bighorn Sheep, the snow and that festival. That is so far from my terms of reference, but so special to know someone who has experienced it. Thank you. Beautiful white wonderland!
    Lotsaluv to you all (that includes Hunter!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Noreen. What a fun trip!!! Loved the photos!
    Thanks so much for the advice on the relaxing drops. However, we don't have a WholeFoods near us. I will look for it at our local Sprouts though. Would be great if that works! Poor Dusty has developed swelling and fluid, and I had to take him back today to the Vet. They said it is common when an older dog is neutered. If he has not improved in three days, he has to have more surgery!
    : (
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, looks like FUN - can't wait to see more pictures. I really had hoped to see Bighorn Sheep when we were at RMNP a few years back, so I would have loved to have seen that herd - and so close to the car! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14