Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Star Fruit

Happy Tuesday to you! Yesterday morning, after the rain moved in, I took my friend up to our local Sprouts. I was out of a wellness vitamin and I always love shopping there, even though my wallet protests a bit. I happened to see a Star Fruit, which I've seen in the Islands before and decided to splurge. I also got a Papaya, which was more than I usually pay~however, since our trip to the Islands was cancelled, I was in the mood for some tropical fruit. This morning I decided to cut into the Star Fruit-it is so beautiful and have it for breakfast.

In case you've never seen one or know about it, here is so info I retrieved. " The star fruit (Carambola) is actually a member of the Oxalidaceae (Wood Sorrel) family. It originated in Indochina and is considered a tropical fruit. "The fruits are star-shaped when cut across and are crisp, juicy, and aromatic, although usually acid in taste. One form is called the "sweet carambola" because it lacks the acid taste. The fruits have been reported to contain 50 percent of reducing sugars on a dry-weight basis and to be a good source of vitamins A and C. The ripe fruits are used for preserves, jams, and jellies. The star- shaped cross sections make an attractive addition to salads." I have to say the taste is unusual-almost like a cross between a pear and an apple but it reminds me of a quince fruit as well; the smell is definitely different. I know I'll enjoy this treat until my Papaya is ripe-I love Papaya's.
I had a fun day yesterday with my friend and look forward to spending more time with her.
Today I'm headed downstairs to sew.  I hope you get some time in today to do something you enjoy!
Hugs,
Noreen

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Noreen!
    I must admit I've never had a star fruit. How do you know when they are ripe? They certainly are pretty!
    Sometimes we have to splurge a little. ☺
    I can't believe you got rain. The clouds came in yesterday afternoon, but just brought the wind. Ugh!
    We have another busy day. Guitar lessons and shopping. Tomorrow we go visit a friend for the day.
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, lovely! Star Fruit is so refreshing! I ate a lot of those when I lived in Korea for some reason!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried one. I go to Sprout's almost every week. One reason is because they carry Home Run Inn pizza's which is a Chicago Pizza chain. I mainly go for the sales each week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had star fruit either.It looks lovely on your plate and reminds me of the islands. Have a great week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fresh fruits. Getting them with flavor is sometimes hard. I too think the star shape would look good in a salad . Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did not know about star fruit! Mom thinks your plate is very pretty!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen star fruit. But if it is a fruit, I will eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like star fruit too. I am not too keen on papaya, but I love cherimoya, and other exotic fruits like kiwi.
    I enjoyed seeing hour organization in the sewing room. And your crafts with the kids. Sounds like you had a nice day with your girlfriend too. Life is good.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Noreen! These look so pretty! I don't think I've ever had one before. Thanks for the history on it too.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14