Monday, March 14, 2016

Honor Flight Quilts

Happy Monday to you all; I hope you've recovered from the change in time for those who live in an area where the clocks are moved up. I have always had a hard time with this and was pleased to see on the 10:00 news Saturday that women typically have a much harder time adjusting than men. As I mentioned on Friday, our grand daughters had sewing last week and we made Honor Flight quilt squares for a friend who does the sashing and hands them over to be given out to the Veterans. I really wanted the girls to participate and honor the Veterans who risked their lives for our country. So here they are~ Miss O and Miss F.

Miss M and Miss S.

Here are the four blocks I turned in on Friday.

I've got to say I love this project and may just incorporate it into our sewing-possibly every other lesson. I will definitely keep making more, there is a shortage of 90 quilts which will be passed out in the fall.  I also had dinner on Friday night with another friend who is also a quilter. She couldn't believe that our grands were making these and even sewing; she figured they wouldn't be able to reach the pedals. While I didn't grow up sewing until my teens, I had a friend whose daughters were sewing by the time they were six.  These two sisters learned to sew proficiently and started making wedding dresses. It has turned out to be a good career for them. 
I'm off to walk now and then not sure what the afternoon will hold.  Probably sewing and some other things.
If you live in California, could you please keep the storms to yourself, especially the snow; I do not relish the idea of snow this week.
Have a wonderful Monday!
Joy to you!
Noreen

9 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful your grands are sewing at such a young age and it's for a great project. Hope the snow stays away, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful squares, beautiful grands, and a beautiful project!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    Pee Ess - Right now it is snowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special project to work on together! That's really great!
    My inner clock will be confused for weeks. I can't help it. 9:30 last night felt like 3 in the morning. Even jet lag doesn't do this to me.
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thing you are passing on to your grandchildren, teaching them to enjoy sewing, and sharing their projects with veterans too! Your quilt blocks are awesome! Have a wonderful afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure which one I think is more wonderful.
    The fact that the girls are learning to sew and you are teaching them, or the fact that they are participating in this project and they are learning the importance of giving back. Love it all. Have a good week Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noreen, your granddaughters are beautiful and I am amazed that they have made the quilt What a fun project for you to share with them! Blessings, Pam @ Everyday Living

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noreen, it was supposed to say quilt squares!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a special project made even better with these adorable and skilled granddaughters. Beautiful blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special thing to do! I love this idea. I wonder if anyone in our area does something like this? I know they make quilts for children in families in need because of the economy. They make lap quilts for the nursing homes in our area, too.
    You can never be too young to learn a skill! Sewing is something they will use they whole lives. I didn't start sewing until I was in junior high, but mom taught me to crochet and embroider in grade school. I also learned the blind hem stitch and helped hem my own pants! My boys can sew and crochet and the oldest one found an online came of cross stitch and is making some pretty awesome patterns!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14