Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Life's Gifts

One of my earliest memories of my dad is that of him constantly singing. It is no wonder then that I grew up constantly singing; not that I had an exceptional voice mind you, but I loved to sing. I remember riding home from school, around age 8 or 9, and singing to my hearts content. Music has always filled my life. In high school my best friend and I played guitar and sang together at the talent shows etc. At a local coffee shop in our city they held an open mike night and I remember singing at that~which if you would have heard me you would have giggled for I wasn't very good but I still loved it. When my girls were little, before we homeschooled, we would walk to school every morning singing "Psalty" or "Music Machine" or some other childrens hymn. When I drive I crank on the car radio or a cd and sing along. One of the things I most cherish about attending church is lifting my voice in worship. It is as equally important to me as the message, sometimes more so for this is how I connect with the Lord. Sometimes I will cry as I sing, not because I'm sad, but because of what a profound time it is for me. Once in church one of the leaders misunderstood my tears and came up after service to tell me he understood my pain-thinking I was crying over something else. I just smiled at him and thanked him for his reaching out to me. This last Sunday's service was so good, the message so timely but the music and worship was incredible. It had been about a month since I was in service, due to vacations and illness, so my soul was crying out to sing. May you be blessed this day in the little things that make you happiest!
Thought for today: Salvation, from whatever is drowning you, comes only from looking unto Jesus.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so good and timely for me. I missed church for two weeks now and miss worshipping the Lord with others. I too don't have the best voice but love music and singing. Make a joyful noise, right? I also grew up with singing in my family. Both of my parents were quite musical and we always sang around the piano as my mom played. We even harmonized in the car as a family. I don't ever remember listening to the car radio because we were always singing our own songs. It puts a much needed smile on my face simply remembering. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nor, This just really blessed my heart. Of course you know why. I also loved hearing about you and your Dad and your kids. Too precious. I enjoy singing along in the car, too, but I also love listening to instrumentals.

    Love your thought for today! So very true and profound!!

    Love you gal!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dear Friend, I can so relate. Having been away from church for a bit (the travel is long) we went on Sunday too. To worship our Savior with song always brings tears to my eyes and gives me goosebumps. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you there in Colo. My husband and I love to visit your state whenever we can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there ~

    Thank you for checking out my first blog and leaving such a nice comment. It seems we have a lot in common!
    I too am married to my best friend, my high school sweetheart of 31 years. We also raised our two chidren in church and remember well the Psalty musicals =)
    I used to do the sets for the children's choir!
    Well, sweet lady, I do hope we will get to know each other soon.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14