Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Memories


I would love to say this is a quilt I made since most of my quilts are works -in-progress at the moment but this is such a treasure to me I had to share it with you. This antique quilt dates back to the late 1920's and was pieced by my dear hubby's grandmother. When I came into the family the quilt top was just sitting in a box in a closet at my mother-in-law's. I wasn't a quilter but had friends who were and I knew it had to be finished; I finished piecing the outside border and did the sandwiching with the batting and backing. This alone took quite awhile for me to do; next it was taken, to Tennessee, to a cousins home who was a very experienced quilter. She did a beautiful job on it. Once again it was sent back to my mil's and stayed there until about 5 years ago when she gave it to me. Back when I first got the quilt and worked on it I wasn't into the retro 20's fabrics but now I just love it. It has hung on the wall here in the basement and I know eventually I will have a special spot for it. The colors are still very bright and it is is wonderful shape; in fact when I originally given it 5 yrs ago, it was displayed at our county quilt show in Ca.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would love to say that the reason I haven't been doing daily posts is because of our wonderful, warm spring weather has kept me outside but that isn't the case. We've just been getting back into our daily routine of running errands and such and I really haven't given to much thought about posting. I had hoped to be back on a normal schedule by now but alas today I need to appear for jury duty. In our county a person usually only serves for one day or at the very most three days~in any case I am quite happy to serve in this way; I just wish we didn't have to be to the courthouse by 8:00am because now I have to think about the 30 min. drive and add time in for traffic. By that statement alone you can tell we are very used to our retired life.

I hope you are having wonderful weather and the beauty of springtime has graced your area.
Have a blessed day.

5 comments:

  1. Hope jury goes well. I'll e-mail you later today. Hugs..

    I love that quilt..what a treasure you have with wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noreen,
    good luck on jury duty! I just had to click on this picture of your quilt. I just looked and looked at it, as I was studying it I was thinking of all the loving hands that have had a part in finishing this quilt. Noreen you have such a treasure there.
    My grandmothers quilts are all gone now except one that I have and it is not in very good shape. My how I wish I had all of hers. I remember how pretty they were as a child. Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful. Jury duty sounds like...not so much fun. I know what you mean....erands and everyday life just tend to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you came by to visit. I browsed through your blog and enjoyed it. How delightful to live so close to your grandchildren. I am lucky that mine lives 15 minutes away and I see him at least once a week at church. I was born in Loveland and went to UNC. I enjoy seeing other CO bloggers and their view of our beautiful state. I'll be back when I can spend more time getting to know you

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt story sounds like a movie...let's see...Sisterhood of the Travelling Quilt??!! How delightful that so many loving hands went into making this beauty!! Truly a treasure!! You'll find just the right spot for it, I'm sure!!

    Please pray for me, sweetie. I am starting to feel like I'm getting sick. We just had my niece over for the whole weekend, and her Grandma (who she lives with)called me yesterday and told me that she has the flu!!

    Love and hugs, guess I better get to bed and stop visiting!! It's just so nice to catch up!!

    Love ya,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14