Wednesday, January 15, 2014

August: Osage County

Greetings from our neck of the woods to yours!  Actually today's morning temp isn't too bad-right now it is 19 degrees and should warm up to the high 40's...quite nice.  It is so much more tolerable because our cold is dry; although rough on our skin, it is easier to tolerate than the damp cold of the west coast.  Yesterday, hubby and I ended up going to the movies; Tuesday used to be bargain matinees, but now it is just one price- which is cheaper than going in the evening. When we first moved here, we would go every couple of weeks in the winter-it was an adjustment staying inside for extended periods.  First I have to share that I don't read the plots lines in advance of new movies generally(note to self: read the plot lines for new movies); usually we look at the cast and decide based on those findings.  I got to pick the movie yesterday and really should have read the story line first.  We saw August: Osage County with Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts-two of our all time favorite actresses.   I will begin by saying I think Meryl will be up for Best Actress and Julia for Best Supporting Actress in the A.A. this year.  As for the story-well it was definitely interesting; I knew it revolved around a fractured mother-daughter relationship but that was the extent of my knowledge.  It wasn't as dark as Black Swan-which I hated, but it was pretty intense; built around a dysfunctional, crazy family.  The ending just left you hanging; I'm glad we saw it so I will know what all the talk is about, but if I had it to do over again, I'd skip this movie. 
I would rate it 5 Stars for acting, overall just 2.5-not my cup of tea.
If you have seen it, let me know your thoughts; we are all such individuals that I'm sure there are some out there that loved it.

Have a great day!
Noreen

16 comments:

  1. I plan on seeing it on Friday. Sorry it left you hanging. Her left me hanging, not sure what they wanted me to grasp even though I enjoyed it to some degree. I am a huge fan of the Academy Awards so I will see most movies to be prepared with my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Well I have been quite anxious to see this for the same reasons you mentioned. I love both of these actresses. Kind of know the story line from the pre-views, but not really. It isn't even out in our area yet. Now I will re-think going, but I have a feeling won't be able to resist seeing. I'll let you know, haha. Enjoy your day Noreen! btw, haven't gone to a movie in the evening for years...MUCH cheaper going to the matinee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the time it comes to my area, it'll be on video -smile-. Like you, I enjoy those actresses but I need dark like sugar needs more white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to have a tradition like that, Noreen, of going to the movies with your honey. :-)

    I'm not a movie goer, unfortunately. I just can't sit that long. I get antsy!! Once in awhile there will be a movie I see a trailer for, that kind of prompts my interest, but it's usually gone by the time I think of it again.

    Now sitting in Starbucks, talking over a nice big cup of something delicious? I can do that all day, til the cows come home. *lol* Funny how different we all are... but as long as we enjoy ourselves, that's all that matters.

    Love ya~ Andrea
    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it and we must give it a go. We just came back from American Hustle and it was very very good. We try and do cheaper afternoons here as London is expensive. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering about this movie - Meryl Streep is one of my all time favs!! But I sensed that the story line might be a little not to my liking - thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit I'm disappointed by your review. I like both of those actresses and the commercials show that while it focuses on a rather dysfunctional family, it seemed like there was potential. I might leave it on my list - but was down and only on DVD (ie cheap ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom loves those actresses too but waits until things come out on DVD. Thanks for the review!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I promise to let you know Noreen! We, too, have date night on Tuesday nights...at our local neighborhood movie theatre where tickets are cheaper than the big theatres!! In the summer, when we are at the cottage, we usually go to the matinee because of the cost. I would say do not go to the Wolf on Wall Street with Leonardo DiCaprio...it was VERY raunchy. Have a great night Noreen!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not much on movies, they take too long to watch, lol rather be up and doing something, we have a restaurant in Folkston, GA called, NANANOR'S guess it is not yours though. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen the movie but will wait for it to come out OnDemand and not go to the theater to see it. I do love Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts so I will definitely see it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weather has moderated, hasn't it. Those are two of my favorite actresses too but I think I'll wait for the DVD.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to hop in every now and then and say hello and see what your up to.
    I don't get to see much on tv- just see cats outside my window.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear your review. I too love both of the ladies in this movie. But I know that is dark. I like to go see uplifting movies! But I am curious too. I will let you know if I see it. We saw Mr. Banks last week and thought it was wonderful!!! We loved Book Thief too!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Roberts is a fine actress, never cared for Sarandon. Dark movies are not for me. Seen a few in my life and they never leave me. So I won't add another to be etched in my memory.
    Wanted to let you know two pair of my beautiful earrings are being given away over at Chatty Crone's blog if you are interested!
    Hugs &Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your kind words over at Chatty's, Noreen. It means a lot. Hope you win!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14