Thursday, May 19, 2011

Once again it is that day of the week to highlight those things I am thankful for.  This week has flown by, filled with getting some new plants for the garden and a couple of new items for our home.  Hubby has been gone and so I am always a bit more relaxed when I don't have to worry over meals etc. I would love to say our weather has just been delightful but unfortunately that has not been the case; we've had cold and cloudy days and days where it has rained the whole day and night.  One of the things I'm thankful for is that our window wells did not fill up and flood our basement; I'm also thankful that I was able to get a utility pump for the window wells and this morning I really needed it-the water was just below the window and the pump worked perfectly. I am thankful I have the entire day at home, to clean a bit and to spend most of the day sewing.  It is still raining out so it is a perfect activity.  I am thankful that we are only dealing with rain, not snow, tornados or major flooding like some friends in other parts of the county.
Today I want to say how thankful I am for friends.  I'm not talking acquaintances but true friends. 
"A man of many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother(sister)."Prov.18:24
When we left California I wondered if I'd ever find friends like I had left.  I do want to say that I keep in close contact with my dear friends back in our old state.  Moving, when you are an empty nester, is very challenging in regards to making new friends.  Through the illness of a good friend and neighbor a year ago, I got to know another neighbor-a christian sister and over the past year I have developed such a deep friendship with this gal, Kam.  I am so thankful for her and for the Lord's tenderness and mercy in giving me such a close friend.  Kam and I walk together, go garage-saling and share Life together.  This past week, while hubby has been away, Kam has been so faithful in checking in on me and being there.  Just last night she called to check on our window wells and water level, offering her husbands help if needed.  It was such a gift from the Lord and I treasure it. I am so grateful for the blessings of the Lord and for His hand of protection over me.  What are you thankful for today?
Today Laurie at http://womentakingastand.blogspot.com/ is hosting TT, so please stop by and say hello.
Blessings today,
Noreen

8 comments:

  1. Just reading that made me check my window wells...it is such a lot of rain and we are not use to it (o:
    You do have great friends and it is partly due to the way you reach out...and smile and genuinely care about other people.
    Have a great rainy day. Yesterday I could not get in gear and get any errands done...I think today will be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing on a rainy day sounds wonderful!
    I'm so glad to hear you have found a friend - what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having good friends and close Christian friends is a true gift from God.
    So glad God has blessed you them after your move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was very interesting to me. We haven't moved in 22 years, and then it was a move of only 12 miles. I am glad that God blessed you with a good friend. I can see that when our kids are grown it's not as easy to break in to new friendships. Praise God for His mercies every day!

    Our Bridger is 117 pound long-hair German Shepherd, and he's not fat. He's a tall dog. Most people who see him tell me that they've never seen a GSD that big. I think he also looks like a Belgian Tervuren in that photo! He's been a great dog. Love Shepherds! :-)

    Thanks so much for visiting Cranberry Morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good friend is very definitely a blessing ... especially when she's a neighbor. ;-)

    I have to admit that I never thought about window wells filling up with rain ... thankfully we have a "look-out" basement ... so our windows are above ground-level. I'm glad that you got a utility pump that was able to keep the water level under control.

    Hope you had a good day at home ... that you got your cleaning done as well as your sewing! ;-)

    Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Well I am afraid I am really going to expose my ignorance, but I have no idea what window wells or pumps are??!! Whatever they are I am soo glad yours were working perfectly while your hubby is away. I agree, rain and sewing go together REALLY well. I am STILL getting my patterns, ideas, fabric and things together to begin my MAJOR project while working occasionally on the nighties and recieving blankets. While I was out today I found ANOTHER piece of flannel I just couldn't resist to make one more more set. I am getting out of control, haha...I would love to get a look at the quilt just so that I know we are picking the right fabrics to use for the bumper and sheets. I think I told you we are using the plaid that is to be the back of the quilt for the bed skirt. I am soo excited to see this all finished. How grateful I am that you are doing this...Have I mentioned that recently? If not, I am saying it now. I know how you feel about a GOOD friend. I am soo happy for you that you have one near. And she sounds like a good one. Checking in on you while your hubby is away etc. I love it. Hope your sewing goes well. Much love to you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely post! You're right about friends. I had lunch today with one that was my first friend when I moved to Virginia in 1995. I had such good friends in Alaska and have felt so blessed to count she and her family among my friends to enjoy and to buy me lunch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it is so wonderful to sew when it rains! :> )

    Friends are such a blessing from God!

    I hope you are having a WONDERFUL week!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14