Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Who Me???Couldn't Be

What a funny title but you will understand once I begin to unravel this tale. Last Saturday I was at my favorite coffee spot visiting with a favorite friend when a neighbor of hers walked up and joined us. My friend mentioned that her neighbor has been giving "yoga"classes to the ladies in their development and they asked me to come and join them this morning. I sat, wondering. how to answer and my girlfriend assured me that it wasn't new age or anything weird so I said I'd think about it. O.k., you must understand I haven't done yoga since I was a tree-huggin, peace-lovin hippie wanna be in the 70's, when I was in really good shape and very limber. Over the years I've drawn some conclusions about the "far- eastern" classes that clash with my own walk of faith. I have also been told it is very good for arthritis and also aging in general and heard many traditional doctors suggest it to patients. Also, about 12 years ago I had a back injury that resulted in sciatica and have stayed away from anything that might strain my back.
After talking to the teacher, I decided that I would go and see if I could do any moves at all. I knew my girlfriend would be there and she assured me that it was mainly just stretching exercises. I was pleasantly surprised because it was just that, a lot of stretches and extensions but no "eastern"influences at all. I do not have the flexibility that I had 30 years ago and I couldn't move like the other gals but it was relaxing and I enjoyed the company. I even got a head and neck massage at the end and was able to really focus on my Lord during this time. Plus the best part was that it was free! I could definitely feel some parts of my back this afternoon and it will be interesting to see how sore I am during the next few days. I agreed to go back next week again but my body will tell me yes or no. One of my husbands favorite expressions is "his mind is still 20 something while his body is 56", it will be interesting to see if that holds true for me. Trying this also made me realize I shouldn't automatically rule exercise out if I haven't tried it. I'm sure there will be more to this story as time goes on; who knows it might even help me get in better shape. I still like walking the best but this might be something for winter.

2 comments:

  1. See...if you strip away all the bad, yoga does make you feel really good. I am proud of you for trying something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - I don't think you were a "wanna be" hippie - you were the really thing! haha

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14