Monday, December 13, 2010

Good Morning To You, I hope you had a wonderful weekend filled with all sorts of Christmas preparations and traditions.  I went to a ladies fellowship yesterday with my good friend and it was such fun; a dinner and guest speaker whose topic was Hats and Their History.  I love girl times, be it with our daughters and their girls or with friends.  As a young mother I was blessed with lots of other woman with young ones; in my case my own mother was deceased so I didn't have her to guide me along, but I had the absolute best sister and sister of my heart as well as good friends.  I'm not really sure how it came about but when my girls were about 9 and 7, we decided to have a yearly "girls" Christmas date in San Francisco.  The first several years, we dressed up in our finest dresses, went to a very nice restaurant for lunch and then attended the Nutcracker Ballet at the Opera House.  Oh my, the ladies in real fur coats and little girls in their finest-what a sight to behold.  It was a very expensive day but my sil and my sister split the cost with me so it was affordable.  We did this for a few years and then decided to go see A Christmas Carol or Little Women and one year we even went to the Dickens Fair.  My daughters have such fond memories of these days.  We also bought each gal a special Christmas pin to wear throughout the season, just to remember our occasion.  Somewhere along the years we ended up letting this slip by and when we spent time with our dear sil in Oct. she mentioned that we will need to start this up again because we have so many little girls.  I see Denver in the future for such dates.
This Friday our men and boys are going to a hockey game so all of the girls will gather at our oldest daughter's house, have a fancy dessert and watch Little Women on their big screen.  I can't wait; for me this is what the holidays are about!
Hugs to you,
Noreen

9 comments:

  1. What a fun tradition and "girls" time at Christmas. I love having "girl" time with my daughter and sister and other friends. My mom also passed away, so my sister, other women in my church, and friends took on the role when I was newly married and raising young children. Thank you for sharing this inspiring and heart felt post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just loved those traditions with my mother! We always did, and still do, very special things together!! I am the only daughter, and we have a special time. I am sorry you lost your Mom.
    Have a great week Noreen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those traditions too. My daughters and I went to the Nutcracker for many years and now I love taking my oldest granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful...
    I think they will remember that just as fondly as an expensive outing...time together is what they love (o:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have three grown daughters and I love spending time with them..We do lunch, we shop, we talk on the phone and we share time at church. I treasure all of these, so have a great time with your girls watching Little Women while have some great fellowship !
    Mary
    visitswithmary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love things like this. Your tradition sounds soo fun. I think that is one of the reasons I am having a little bit of a hard time this year as I did soo many of these kind of things with my daughter, and she isn't here to do them anymore. I was hoping she'd get here in time to do at least one of them but alas it is not to be. Soooo, I am thinking some new traditions might be in order. Praise God I have dil's, and grand daughters, and my mom, and sisters and good friends. I really am blessed as I look back at this list. And little women sounds wonderful..ENJOY your time...HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Noreen,
    That sounds like so much fun, and a wonderful tradition! You've made such wonderful memories. You will have fun making new memories with your granddaughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are having a wonderful week. That is what Christmas is all about to me..... not the presents, but time spent with friends and family!!!!! Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14