Monday, October 12, 2015

Mayflower Gulch

Happy Monday to you! I hope that you are enjoying cooler temps of Autumn, with some changes happening in your neck of the woods. Last week hubby and I took a three day trip to Breckenridge; we were there in the summer with our friends, but wanted more time to explore and enjoy this town. The weather was perfect and we had such a great time. On Thursday, we went on a little adventure up the road a bit from Breckenridge. I had checked my John Fielder's Best of Colorado book and found out about Mayflower Gulch. It took some time to finally see where the road was, but oh my what a experience. Unfortunately, we had hubby's Passat and had to park it off the dirt path half way in. We hiked the rest of the way and let me tell you I was winded. We think the elevation is about 10,000'. We can imagine hubby's great grandfather mining here; he lived in Leadville which is just up the road.
We think this was a barn or outbuilding for equipment.  I didn't want to trek up the mountain to the mines, as we had an appointment that afternoon. 

You all know how much I love dogs~firstly Bichons, Labs and Bernese Mountain Dogs are up there too. If we were younger and had land, I'd probably own one of these. Thankfully, two gals were hiking with their dogs-one of the gals had two pups-one was 1.5 yrs and the other 6 mos, but they were almost full grown.  Forgive the shadow; these dogs were so friendly and the owner was surprised I wasn't intimidated by them. 



I have more photos that I'll share on Wednesday; one is inspired by John Fielder's photo.  We loved our time there and if it wasn't so expensive, we'd probably go back. However, Steamboat Springs is just as quaint and not nearly so expensive~so we'll probably head there before winter is here.
The colors have passed their peak, but we still saw some beauties that I will share. 
I hope you have a fantastic start to your week.
Joy to you!
Noreen

8 comments:

  1. Good morning! What a beautiful spot and you sure got some lovely photos! I love how you share your little treasures with us. I think I mentioned we spent 11 days several years ago in steamboat springs for a softball tournament and got to explore our surroundings between games.. Personally I loved it there. The town was soo neat and the land sooo beautiful. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm partial to bigger dogs (not giants like Great Danes or Mastiffs) .. and I'd love to have a Bernese Mountain Dog! Hmmm, I also love Golden Retrievers .. I seem to have a thing for long-haired dogs. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noreen! I'm so glad you could go back at your own pace. I can't think of all the places I wish I could have done that. My sister lives in Colorado, and her husband has participated in the Leadville 100 several times.

    I can't manage 10,000 feet. I was in Colorado for a family wedding, and got out of breath at a scenic overlook. It was frightening, and I'll never do that again! Thank goodness you have good lungs!!

    The photos are so fun, and isn't it amazing that these cabins were made so well that they've lasted the test of time? So sad that it's an expensive place to visit. But I'm glad you have a great alternative!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is 99 degrees here today and we wish Fall would arrive here in Southern CA. The photos are lovely. Looks like a nice place to visit. You have a wonderful week too.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds like a fun time . I love the old buildings wonderful photos to . I love all kinds of dogs lol ! Glad you had nice weather for your trip . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom has always loved those Bernese Mountain dogs too. We are glad you enjoyed your little trip and look forward to seeing more of your photos.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you had a good time and those are some great pictures. Fun that you met some sweet pups along the way. Too bad it was so expensive, though. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love Colorado and northern NM! These photos remind me of "The Waltons" and "Little House on the Prairie"...the latter's house was so primitive. Such incredible views!

    So glad you had a good time and met some new friends along the way!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14