Monday, June 23, 2008

For the Love of a Dog

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a dog person. I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't have a dog or two; in fact as a young grade school girl I spent most Saturday afternoons at our local humane society while my mom did her grocery shopping. So it is only natural that I am trying to nurture that love in my grandchildren.
My husband and I took our two grandsons to an exhibition of Disc Dogs yesterday. For those who aren't familiar with dog terms this describes a sport of Frisbee throwing for dogs. There are many competitions and it is wonderful to watch the dogs fly through the air to catch their Frisbees. There are also many tricks that they perform in the sport. Although it is a game there are some high level competitions in the sport and one of the main jobs the owner/handler has is to teach the dog to watch him as well as the Frisbee. What struck me while watching the handlers and their dogs was the intense concentration of the dogs on the handlers and also on the Frisbee. When they don't watch and focus they miss their goal, in this case catching the toy.
Our grandsons and their family are the proud owners of a Border-Collie mix, just 8 mos old. Right now I am working on the basics with their dog but would love to help get him into agility in the future but that will come as he matures and learns obedience. I am also beginning to work on training the dog to focus on my face when I give a command. What I continue to marvel at is how intelligent these dogs are and how eager to please.

Through the exhibition and my training of the dog I have come to make a parallel observation in the spiritual realm; in walking through this life if we take our eyes of the Lord we will get into trouble and often loose our way. He is the author and finisher of our faith and He will lead and guide us but we must continually look to Him and not at our surroundings.
No matter what our day may look like as long as we turn our eyes upon Jesus we will be alright.
Be blessed today as you seek His face.

1 comment:

  1. Just like Peter in the boat...
    thanks again for taking the boys!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14