Monday, July 14, 2014

One Last Try

Good Monday to you! I hope you all had a great weekend; we spent part of Saturday up in the mountains with our youngest daughter's family. They were camping and since we were on dog sitting duty, we just went up for lunch. It was fun and we were thankful we left when we did, because it started to rain as we were driving out of town. We arrived home and let me tell you it poured. Our daughter and sil decided to pack it in and head home for the night. It has been such an unusual summer this year with lots of rain; makes me wonder what our fall and winter will be like. Back tracking-on Friday we went to get a tree with a g.c. from my brother and sil. I will tell you that my hubby grew up with a dad who was like a master gardener. His specialty was Lacey Leaf Japanese Maples, so hubby grew up with some real beauties in their yard. When we lived in Ca. you could be sure we had lots, I mean lots, of these beautiful trees. When we moved to Colorado, we brought three or four of our mature trees. Hubby was so disappointed when that first spring they never came back. We finally started buying trees here and had pretty good luck with them. We even planted a beautiful lacey-leaf tree in the front yard of our last home; each year we would diligently mulch around it and even put towels or blankets around the base. For some reason, hubby didn't do that last year-he says he thought it was established. You can guess what happened-it didn't make it. Hubby said he wasn't buying anymore, because Colorado's winters are just too hard on them. However, Friday this is the tree we came home with.

We will give it one more try, hubby swears we will really winter-proof it this year. He said he'll shovel snow out from around it as well. We'll see if this one makes it or not. One nice thing is that the big box store we bought it at has a guarantee that if it dies for any reason, you get your money back. In our front bed, there are plants I haven't had before-one I'm enjoying is Hosta. We have some Russian Sage as well and the bees are loving it.
Today, I joined Kam and we celebrated another friend's birthday.  I've seen both daughters and grands and now will visit blogs and later quilt.
I hope your day is passing quickly and easily.
Hugs,
Noreen

7 comments:

  1. Your summer is VERY different from ours! We are hot and dry! Our dad loves those trees too and we have a sickly one that is barely limping along.

    We are leaving in the morning. It will take us 5 hours to driver there. It SHOULD be a bit cooler!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing your tree makes it though the winter.
    speaking of trees... My mom gave me a tree she had in her home and we dug it and brought it here
    ITS IN SHOCK right now
    hoping it lives...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our summer has been a mix of all sorts this year so far . My Uncle whom was in England was a master gardener and won best garden 5 years in a row as he would enter a gardening competition every year ,he had green houses , rock gardens , flower beds oh boy you name it , that was his passion ! My mum was also a wonderful gardener both flower and veggie ! I am still learning here lol but enjoying every minuet of it ! Hope the tree does well . Sounds like you have been busy . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had much luck with any trees here. I have managed to salvage 1 lime tree that my hubby planted a couple years before he passed. It actually has limes on it this year. Other than that I have established red bottle brush and red yucca's that are doing well! I am hoping to plant more this fall, summer is just too HOT! Enjoy a beautiful week! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its very disappointing when plants do not make it through harsh seasons!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thank you for your kind words and for following! Love it when I find other Christian women out there walking the walk and living for Jesus! Blessings! Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had rain in Mammoth Lakes, CA this summer which has been rare in the past but CA really needs it after our dry Winter. Glad you have been able to spend time with your family. That tree is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14