Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Outdoor Wednesday

Yesterday hubby and I had such a nice drive up to the mountains; it was such a beautiful day up there-at least when we first arrived.  No photo oops, this was taken a couple of years ago and actually I think there is more snow in this shot than what we saw yesterday.  I'm thinking that unless they get a really good snow, we won't be snowshoeing anytime soon.  We renewed our annual pass and drove through the park, looking for any trace of animals but I guess they are all settled in higher up. 

We also saw logs that had been cut down piled into bonfire or tepee type piles-this intrigued us so when we hit my favorite quilt store, I asked the gal about the purpose for the piles.  Apparently, all the logs are from the beetle kill and if they get a heavy snow day, the rangers go out and burn the piles. 
By the time we left, all the clouds were rolling in and the temp was dropping.  I had fun browsing my favorite store, Cottage Bliss and even bought a book written by the owner's cousin.  Sheri, the owner, was raised Mennonite and her grandparents were Amish so it makes sense that her cousin would write about the Amish.
The book is entitled "Something Old" by Dianne Christner; I still have two library books I need to read so it will be awhile before I get to this.  If you are a local and visit Estes on a regular basis you should try to get into the shop-it is simply delightful.
Today has already warmed up and I'm thinking I might even be able to open the windows and air the house out. I've walked already and now need to organize some closets that got really messy over the holidays.
Have a great day.  Noreen

12 comments:

  1. We have so many beetle killed trees around here, they are stacking them also.

    Great post!

    Thanks!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to go back to Estes as some point (if I can ever pull myself away from the beach) ... and that little shop sounds like it would be a place I'd like to visit (I checked out their mission statement which really appealed to me).

    Are you feeling better today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice where we can get out and drive into the mountains to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound like you had a wonderful day in the mountains with your hubby....Even getting to go to your quilt store....sounds like a good day to me......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moms on a mission to organize and reorganize post holidays too. It's just no fun at all for us doggies!

    AROOOOOF!
    Boondocks & The Love Shack Pack

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something so majestic about snow-covered peaks along with cloudy mists. We have a fair number of the same here in WA State, and it's often a favorite pass time to drive into their verdant heights.

    Thank you for sharing some of CO's beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so sad out there with all the dead trees....wonder how much longer that will last. And CRAZY that we can open windows at this time of year isn't it? Happy reading. I got an iPad for Christmas and downloaded a free Kindle app so I started a book on that while I waited on my mother in law at her doctor appointment. I'm ready for some cloudy days with a little snow. My daughter got to spend 2 days up in Estes, one cloudy and snowy and one clear. She loved it. You are lucky to live so close to such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the mountains around here in winter. Not as much snow as you see, but beautiful nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun day! The photo's are beautiful!

    I think the New Year is ALL about organize, organize and organize!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are beautiful photos. I love the mountains so I enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos. So sad to hear about the trees. Sounds like you had a lovely day. I hope you are having a nice day today, and will enjoy reading your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Noreen. I need to tidy up my sewing area but lack the motivation plus would rather quilt and clean later. Ha!

    My hubby would rather move full time to the beach, but bless his heart, he has agreed to respect my deepest desire to stay near the grands. So we travel (maybe not quite as often as he'd like) to the beach 3-4 times a year as "compensation" for staying in Illinois.

    Pray that you're having a blessed day today, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14