Thursday, June 24, 2010


My thankful list today will be a bit different; when I thought about what I wanted to post today something on my leg started to bug me. I knew what I needed to post about-Mosquito's. Really Lord, Mosquito's? Let me explain. I have always had the type of skin or blood that is Mosquito bait; as a child I remember having horrid allergic reactions to bites and scratching them until they bled, just to stop the itching. My bites would swell and become very large-but when you are so skinny and have no fat on your body, any bite looks big. One of the nicest memories I have of my mom is when she took me to the pharmacy and talked to the man behind the counter about what she could do to help me. He explained that there was a B vitamin that, once taken, would emit an odor from your skin and the mosquito's would leave you alone. As I recall, it was either B11 or B12 and sure enough it worked. I still would get a few bites but not feed an entire swarm. In the years since I have searched for any information regarding these vitamins and the benefits but haven't found any. For some reason this year I have become bait again; it may be the change in my diet, I'm really not sure but every time I'm outside I'm being bitten. In the last few years I have gotten leery of using insect repellents so searched for a natural solution. Last year one of our daughters got a natural repellent but I couldn't stand the smell. I looked at Skin-*o-soft products because I remember hearing these worked well. Then I happened upon Burt Bees repellent and although it has a slight smell I can live with it. The problem is that I need it on anytime I'm outside, even just for a minute. When I was grumbling this morning after hitting two thirsty mosquito's on my arm I realized that our Lord created these tiny insects and I'm to be thankful in All things. So today I'm thankful that I can feel the bugs biting me and that even if I have a bad reaction to them I can still feel the itch. I remembered Leprosy and the fact that those afflicted can't feel pain. So Lord, today I am thankful for a pretty health body and the ability to get products that can ward off these pests, unlike parts of the world where people can't. I'm thankful that we don't live in land saturated with pest control being dropped on us from planes-although sometimes I think that might be necessary.
If you have any incredible products/vitamins that work wonders please let me know!
Remember to give thanks in all things.
Hugs, Noreen

10 comments:

  1. Hi Noreen,
    My husband has become mosquito food this year too! His legs are covered with bites. I typically am not real bothered by them, but I've got more bites on me than I typically do.
    I was reading last week about natural remedies to repel mosquitoes and I believe I am going to try this! It's Lemon Balm (which we happen to grow in our herb garden).
    Some sites say to just crush and rub the leaves on the skin, but another place said to make a 'spray' out of it by putting the leaves of the plant in a food processor until they're pulpy, then pouring 2 cups of boiling water over the leafy-pulp and steeping it for 10 min., straining the water and putting it into a spray bottle and storing it in the fridge until you need it. Then spray it on the clothes or skin. They say you can also use Catnip or Lavender (which would smell heavenly!).
    I'll let you know if it works.
    And.... 'don't scratch'! (hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that if you increase your potassium such as eating bananas it makes your blood not as appealing as it was before.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noreen, I love how you can be thankful even for mosquito bites. It is all a matter of our perspective. Pain can be a good thing as it alerts us that something is wrong. You're so right about leprosy which is very sad.

    Sending you a hug today,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. blessings on this TT Noreen, I enjoyed this post, I, like you want to go natural and have tried some of the same products. I am told garlic helps, and now you have got my mind whirling to find something. lol.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! And thanks for reminding me about the mosquitos for our upcoming visit. Let me know if you find a natural product you particularly like (will look for the Burt's Bees one), I don't like putting repellant on my kids. I have in the past bought stretchy repellent bracelets for trips to Alaska and put those around my kids waists/legs. Not ideal, but better than being slathered on their skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW You made me think about mosquitoes in a different way, haha...We don't have many out here. But visiting my daughter it was quite the dilemma. Good luck on finding something that works. Have a wonderful "itch free" day. HUGS, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought to be thankful for mosquitos! Definitely a positive way to look at/think about these pesky insects. I'm sure to remember this post next time I'm 'bug bait'! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My oldest daughter Jennifer is the same way. I am not sure what she using now as an adult but we did use skin so soft growing up.

    What a great example of a blessing.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Noreen, I appreciate and am thankful for your post, but this girl has got to be honest...I don't know if I can be thankful for those pesky little biting heathens. Can you tell they love my tender flesh? LOL!
    Since you put in the term matters could be worse, such as leprosy...hmmm, well, I could somewhat be thankful.I just always pray for more mosquito hawks or dragonflys to eat these buggers.
    I am always looking for solutions to keep them away.
    Here's to praying to no more bites :)
    Love,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14