Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Taos Pueblo-The Place of Red Willows

This had to be the highlight of our trip for me. I have always been drawn to the land and to the First Nations peoples and this thrilled me to see a Living World Heritage village. There is approximately 100,000 acres in the Blue Lake Wilderness Area and I was told that 2,000+ more people live in the surrounding area. There are many who still live in the Pueblos, without any appliances or electricity, who cook in Horno's or outdoor adobe ovens and still live as their ancestors did-off the land. The people still use the Kiva's(sacred religious areas) and love to share their heritage. Taos Pueblo is considered to be the oldest continually inhabited community in the U.S. The natural beauty of the area and hills made me regret leaving my camera in the car. You can read more about this treasure here: www.taospueblo.com. Photo courtesy of Taos Pueblo.

Another museum we attended was the Georgia O'Keefe museum. It was quite interesting and for the most part we enjoyed looking at her work.

We also went to the "Loretta Chapel" with the wooden spiral staircase-what a site to behold. The architecture and craftsmanship in this chapel was incredible. I loved seeing the Italian sculptures and stained glass. I am not one to go see churches just to see them; I grew up Catholic and spent so much time in them that I often don't have the appreciation for the buildings but this one was beautiful. Are friends love visiting museums, churches and galleries while I'd much rather be outside, touring the countryside and seeing small towns. That is what makes a trip fun however, doing things you normally wouldn't.

Have a joyous Wednesday!





4 comments:

  1. I have never got to see that area... sounds great to visit that museum. Have you been to Mesa Verde National Park? You would love it too.
    Don't you hate it when you leave your camera at home or in the car. I always do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noreen,
    Pueblo sounds really neat. the idea of living like that is so neat.
    when we had the storm of the century years back and it was cold outside, I rather enjoyed the lack of conveniences. Did the dishes by hand, swept the floor, ate dinner and read by kerosene lantern. Felt like a pioneer woman and it was fun, course, if it was hot out that would be a whole nother story.
    I can take no electricity accept for the A/C. Course, with the hot flashes I had when we had the hurricanes, 3 in a row, 2 wks. apart, 5-6 yrs. ago - lack of A/c was the worst part of it. Even the cold showers felt good!! lol
    Glad you had such a neat time.
    Have a good rest of the week.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure soes sound like a wonderful place. Just the history is fascinating and that they are untouched by modern technology. How cool! Like turning the clock back!!

    Love ya, gal! Have a cozy, restful night!!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I would love to see it. I know how much it meant to you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14