Thursday, January 8, 2009

Reflections on Homsechooling

When hubby and I were first married we lived an area of California dubbed "silicon valley"-it was the area booming with computer growth etc. Although we were raised in Palo Alto this is where we started our family and lived for 12 years. I was blessed to be a stay at home mom as were most of the ladies in our neighborhood. It was a surprise when one of the neighbors who had become one of my dearest friends, pulled her two grade school children out of the Christian school they attended to homeschool. At this point in time, homeschooling was still an unknown phenomenon. At the same time another dear godly friend started homeschooling her children. She had a big family; at the time I think she had five which seemed "big"for the times we were in. When both families started to homeschool our daughters were still preschool age. I was a preschool teacher and so I hammered these dear sweet sisters with every question I could come up with. They were gracious and patient with me and explained all the reasons they were homeschooling. It seemed that a group of ladies in my life who had older children were all deciding to go this route for their kids education. I waited and watched and began to see the fruit of their labors in the lives of their children and in their families. I was convinced; our two daughters instinctively knew that this was the right thing to do and preceded to tell everyone that they wanted to homeschool. Dear hubby had other thoughts on the issue, mainly that he wasn't sure the long term outcome would be beneficial. The girls and I began to pray about this and I became an advocate for homeschooling. It would be many years before our prayers were answered and in a way we didn't anticipate but as I look back I can so clearly see the hand of the Lord in this and see how we were prepared. Needless to say, our girls did attend public school while we lived in this area of California. God is so faithful and loves to bless us. It's amazing to see how seeds can be planted and watch how they are watered and tended. I'll share more of this story tomorrow. Blessings on your day.

3 comments:

  1. I was so sure that you were going to say that your girls did NOT attend public school. I am curious. My oldest two went to public school, but when the youngest was going to go to middle school (sixth grade) I panicked because the school he would go to was not lookin good. It was ten years after the oldest went there. We put him in a small Christian school. Sometimes I still wonder if that was the right thing to do. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I loved reading about your homeschooling journey.
    Our boys attended public school, and I really don't know what I would do if I had it to over again.
    I'm anxious to read "the rest of the story.*" lol
    Lea
    And thank you so much for your comment; it meant alot!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14