Sunday, July 13, 2008

Song

I have vivid memories of being a young elementary school student, riding my bike home each day and singing hymns while I rode. I'm sure there were snickers at my singing but the sense that I have is being totally focused on singing. When I got to high school, my best friend and I did what many others did-we picked up guitars and sang in all the talent shows as well as a little coffee house once a week. My girlfriend had the talent but we both had the passion to sing our hearts out. Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Buffy St.Marie and of course John Denver(later on) were just a few of the artists we copied. It was fun and although my voice wasn't anything special, music has always been part of my life. As a young mom I would always sing to my girls, no matter where or when and also make up funny little rhymes and songs. Now in this season of life, I sing silly songs to my grandkids but also teach them to lift their voice above. I still love to sing; I often wake up with a worship song on my heart. I love to praise my Lord with my voice. One of my favorite c.d.'s is Valley of Vision by Sovereign Grace. These songs are based on Puritan Prayers and so eloquent, so relevant to my heart today.

In The Valley
Based on "The Valley of Vision"

When You lead me to the valley of vision
I can see You in the heights
And though my humbling wouldn't be my decision
It's here Your glory shines so bright
So let me learn that the cross precedes the crown
To be low is to be high
That the valley's where You make me more like Christ.

Let me find Your grace in the valley
Let me find Your life in my death
Let me find Your joy in my sorrow
Your wealth in my need
That You're near with every breath
In the valley

In the daytime there are stars in the heavens
But they only shine at night
And the deeper that I go into darkness
The more I see their radiant light
So let me learn that my losses are my gain
To be broken is to heal
That the valley's where Your power is revealed.

May you find something today to sing about. May you have joy in the song.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement over at my place. You have blessed me with encouragement both times you have commented so God has obviously graced you with that precious gift! Blessings upon you as you bless others.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment
"Thank You" for leaving me a comment on my blog ~ I so appreciate each one and even if I don't respond please know I do read them.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14